Monday, May 18, 2009

L'Arret

I've been thinking a lot about my parents and grandparents. About the sorts of things they worried about,and how their worries, struggles and habits live in me. My ancestors; full of pride, ignorant, impractical, guilty, quick to shun, suspicious of gifts given freely. They were worriers, and a lot of other things. In some ways they were lovely, generous people and in other ways they were very destructive.

My grandfather, my mother, my father, and me. We struggle during the day, we struggle during the night, even in dreams, and we are not capable of letting go and relaxing.

If we are not struggling, we are running

And that is my heritage.

So I have to learn the art of stopping, L’arret.

If I don't learn how to stop, then my children will carry me and continue to struggle in the future. It seems to me that stopping is the best thing I can give to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say: