Tuesday, September 8, 2009

a season in the life



Anyway, we were serious about the decision to move to Canada. Not tomorrow, but in the next five years. This afternoon I'm flipping through How to Move To Canada: A Primer for Americans. It is a delightful, practical book. This, I would argue, is a practical dream. My favorite part of the book is the section labeled "Where to Move in Canada." It runs two-hundred pages long, and begins, "If you're serious about moving to Canada and trying to decide where to live, this section of the book will get you started."

And because I think about life in terms of books, I'm also thumbing through my copy of A Season In the Life of Emmanuel by Marie-Claire Blais. I stumbled across this author years ago on a lonely winter evening spent in my local library. I was enchanted by her voice and the descriptions of snowy Quebec City. Somehow, her writing is all wrapped up in my mind with the idea of going north. This, I will admit, is not practical. Here are a few pages from her beautiful notebooks.











Notebook images found here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say: