Saturday, February 20, 2010

deaf to the city


I  was going to write to you about my problems in the city. About the graffiti, the burglary, the pollution, the schools, and the fear of a cascadia subduction zone earthquake. I titled the post after Marie Claire Blais' novel Le Sourd dans la ville, a passionate narrative about the despair and innocence present in modern urban surroundings. I wrote a whole post about it all, read it over, and decided that it was too much complaining. People deal with so much in their lives, my complaints are minor and compared to others, sound like they come from a position of privilege.

So instead I can tell you about my dreams. I have a map out, and have circled a small town in Ontario, Canada. We are planning on traveling there in June. If we like it, and I think we will, our intention is to start planning to move. Tadzio is excited about the prospect of finally being able to spend his Canadian dollar. I would like to find something quieter with a better social safety net. I'll keep you posted as things develop.


Image via Olivert

3 comments:

  1. Tonight I think that my solutions are much too extreme. Perhaps just a smaller town in the Northwest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. just read your comment and felt weirdly disappointed - i guess i really liked the idea of you somewhere in canada, as that is my dream country, the place i constantly long for. silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stella - you could probably tell that I was trying to talk myself out of a dream. I haven't given up, I have the residency application sitting here in my office.

    ReplyDelete

Have your say: