Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I will eat them all when day breaks


This was my thought about a few particularly difficult coworkers today.

No, really, all joking and employment aside, I do love this line from Ishigaki Rin's poem "shellfish." I love all of her poems about cooking and food. I can sense that here is the voice of another woman who gives a lot of thought to her work in the kitchen and its implications in her life.

I wake at midnight.
The little shellfish I bought last evening
are alive with their mouths slightly open.

I will eat them all when day breaks.


I laugh a hag's laugh.
Afterwards there is nothing left of the night,
except to sleep with my mouth slightly open.

Shellfish by Ishigaki Rin

Image via We Heart It

2 comments:

  1. I,too, am laughing a hag's laugh. Yes, let's eat them all at the break of day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes poetry is just pure therapy. That was a particularly hard day.

    ReplyDelete

Have your say: