Saturday, June 26, 2010

Now, in my house of one thousand paintings



I salt my soup with the dust of colored chalk.
I have bright green fingertips
like ten live spirits in ten forest robes.
My fingers are flowing with green
like a woman who suckles ten children.
Now my children have grown tall as trees.

-Excerpt from Penelope Scambly Schott's  "How We All Came to Survive”

Penelope let me into her poetry workshop even though I mistakenly inserted an "r" into her middle name. What would it mean to be scrambly? A bit confused and messy, certainly fast-moving. Very lively.

Tadzio has wrapped up his second year at the French school and summer has finally arrived. I promised myself that at the end of the school year I would start working on my application for Canadian residency. I'm a little afraid of it. I'll overcome the fear and the paperwork and start gathering up my documents. Not the sort of task that one usually picks up at the start of summer, but timing is important.

image via

2 comments:

  1. To be scrambly is to be harried.

    -Ina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ina, I don't know what gets into me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Have your say: