Friday, June 4, 2010

pony party




Today is my birthday. You know, after all of these years, I still think that a pony birthday party is the best. I wish you could join me. We could have cake and champagne and ride the little guys around the stable. As we rode, we could talk about birthdays and how interesting it is to grow older. As someone who never expected to age past twenty-three, there is something quite magical about it all.

In the spirit of celebrating our mortality and relationships with beasts, here is a poem by Jack Gilbert, from The Great Fires.

I never thought Michiko would come back
after she died. But if she did, I knew
it would be as a lady in a long white dress.
It is strange that she has returned
as somebody's dalmatian. I meet
the man walking her on a leash
almost every week. He says good morning
and I stoop down to calm her. He said
once she was never like that with
other people. Sometimes she is tethered
on their lawn when I go by. If nobody
is around, I sit on the grass. When she
finally quiets, she puts her head in my lap
and we watch each other's eyes as I whisper
in her soft ears. She cares nothing about
the mystery. She likes it best when
I touch her head and tell her small
things about my days and our friends.
That makes her happy the way it always did.


Images by Lo Bjurulf

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday sweet A.

    Love,
    Ina

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations!
    a pony party sounds swell, and what a wonderful smell...
    sipping bubbles while riding a warm creature is an idea that has never crossed my mind but i'm fascinated. and when you mention cake, i'm all in.

    mine is just around the corner. i prepared for a small party in a tiny court yard with pelargoniums, roses and creeping vines all around but in these weeks of sun, that particular day has apparently decided to be the rainy one. picnic inside, no space for ponies, i'm afraid.

    i hope you had a wonderful day.
    and that your new year will be all sparkly, twirly and wordy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday summer baby!!

    I love the poem, it put a smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing my birthday with me, everyone. It made me smile. I'm always surprised at how nice it is to hear from all of you out there in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete

Have your say: