Friday, May 28, 2010

Permission



Today I've given myself permission to blunder, to make mistakes, and to feel a little lost. Friends, I give you permission to do the same. Let your mind wander and make silly mistakes. For me it is the day of the too short haircut, the failed art project, and the parking ticket. I was just on the phone with a hotel in British Columbia changing a reservation and I paused, would it also be the day that I screwed up the room reservation? I'm going to trust that it will all work out. I'm also giving myself permission to dream.

In the spirit of imperfection, here is part of a poem I've been working on for one of my classes.

The Classics Professor

He invites you to his house
To taste his duck confit,
Or to go up the white hallway
To look at the engravings illustrating horsemanship.

Drink the port, but approach him carefully.
Your steps may become uncertain,
As if you were on a ship.
When he kisses you, you will be
Surprised to see his red tongue.

Perhaps you will persuade him to tell a story.
Perhaps you can persuade him to bring out his dissertation
On Pindaric poetry. Who can tell?
All of this warms him to his work.

-A. 

Image via

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say: