Monday, May 3, 2010

sharks in the rivers


I say to a friend, how scared I am of sharks.
How I thought I saw them in the creek
across from my street.

I once watched for them, holding a bundle
of rattlesnake grass in my hand,
shaking like a weak-leaf girl.

She sends me an article from a recent National Geographic that says,
Sharks bite fewer people each year than
New Yorkers do, according to Health Department records
.
Then she sends me on my way. Into the City of Sharks.

Through another doorway, I walk to the East River saying,
Sharks are people too.
Sharks are people too.
Sharks are people too.

I write all the things I need on the bottom
of my tennis shoes. I say, Let's walk together.

The sun behind me is like a fire.
Tiny flames in the river's ripples.

Excerpt from “Sharks in the Rivers”
by Ada Limón

Image via

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say: